Whilst readers of our blog are all aware that Gail loves colour, it’s one of the defining aspects of Ocean J, we also understand that Black is incredibly popular.
In fact Black is one of the world’s most popular colours (following Blue and Red)!
However, Black isn’t really a true colour. It is the absorption of all colours in the spectrum. In basic terms this means that when we see Black we are looking at all of the rainbow colours merged together to create it.
It sounds complicated, and it is, even more so when taking into consideration that colour is actually radio waves that the eye receives, sends to the brain and then returns as colours!
Irrespective of the science behind the colour, it seems we can’t get enough of it! Why is it so popular?
Some Black facts:
- It suggest power and confidence, even the most timid of characters feel stronger and more confident when wearing it.
- Black clothing helps enhance curves and silhouettes creating an illusion that is flattering.
- Black is regarded as a colour of sophistication, ‘the little black dress’, ‘the black tie event’ both are seen as stylish and suave.
- Black underwear is seen as provocative and sexy because of the intrigue associated with it.
- Generally considered the colour of mourning, it offers protection from external emotional stress.
- In colour psychology, Black means power and control.
The fashion world adores Black as it creates a backdrop for patterns, colours and accessories. It’s true that a stunning scarf or necklace worn over a Black top can look sensational, whereas on a more vibrant colour the accessory can get lost.
Here at Ocean J we offer a selection of bags, scarves and jewellery that are (or feature) Black, alongside our amazing multi coloured options.
As Gail says, “Black is important and used in conjunction with other colours, it can look stunning”.